Recipe courtesy of: Amie Valpone, HHP, AADP Nutritionist and author of The Healthy Apple.
- 1 large butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup Lundberg Farms Brown Jasmine Rice
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Arrange each piece of squash, cut side up, on a sheet of foil. Drizzle with 1/2 olive oil and 1 teaspoon each sugar and cinnamon. Wrap in foil and bake on a baking sheet until soft and tender, approximately1 hour.
- Open foil; set aside to cool. Transfer flesh into a food processor. Purée until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups almond milk to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In another saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups almond milk, honey and sea salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until thickened creamy, approximately 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup almond milk, beaten egg and squash puree. Cook for another 5 minutes; continue to stir. Remove from heat, add butter, ginger and almond extract. Transfer to serving dishes.
- Serve warm.