Our 2001 Recipe Contest 2nd Prize Winner
- 1 cup Lundberg® Sushi Rice, cooked and cooled (yields 3 cups cooked rice)
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. teriyaki sauce - or to taste, grapeseed or canola oil
- Sauce: 1 tsp. wasabi powder
- 3 limes, halved
- ½ cup fresh ripe avocado purée
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Garnish: fresh shiso leaves, red and/or green
- pickled ginger
the cooled sushi rice, crabmeat, eggs and teriyaki sauce in a
medium-sized mixing bowl. In batches, ladle ¼ cupfuls of the mixture
onto a hot griddle or large skillet slicked with oil. Cook 3 minutes
per side, or until piping hot and golden brown, adding more oil to the
griddle as needed.
Meanwhile, slurry the wasabi
powder and juice of 2 limes in a small non-reactive serving bowl. When
mixture is smooth and creamy, blend in the avocado purée and mayonnaise.
the hot crab and rice cakes with the wasabi sauce mixture. Garnish with
the shiso, pickled ginger and remaining lime, sliced. Yields 12 cakes;
serves 4-6. Watercress sprigs may be substituted for shiso.
Los Angeles, California