- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cup Lundberg® Long Grain Brown Rice
- 1 (14.5oz) can tomatoes with jalapeños, undrained
- 2 (15 oz) cans pinto beans, drained
- 2 (7 oz) cans chopped green chilies, undrained
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/8-1/4 Tsp. dried red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 350°F.
9" X 13” well-buttered baking dish.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add onions and garlic; cook for 4-5 minutes until onions are translucent. Transfer into a large bowl. Stir in Lundberg Long Grain Brown Rice, tomatoes, beans, and green chilies. Heat water to boiling and stir into rice/bean mixture; pour into baking dish. Stir in one cup grated cheese. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 65-70 minutes or until rice is tender. (If rice is tender but excess water remains, remove foil and cook 5 more minutes.) Just before serving sprinkle with reserved grated cheese. Return to oven until cheese is melted.
Serve with warm tortillas, sour cream, sliced green onions, cilantro, and salsa.
9-10 generous servings
Nutritionals: Serving size 1 cup, Calories 230, Calories from Fat 70, Total Fat 8g (Sat. Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 15mg, Sodium 530mg, Total Carbohydrates 32g, Fiber 6g, Sugars 3g, Protein 10g.