Get fresh recipes, farm news, and discounts delivered straight to your inbox.
1head of cauliflower, sliced into four steaks
1⁄4cupsextra virgin olive oil
1⁄4cupsShaoxing wine (or dry sherry or cognac)
5ozshiitake mushrooms, fresh
1⁄2ozchile de arbol (about 25 peppers), dried, stems removed (use ancho chiles if less heat is desired)
2tbspFresno chiles, thinly sliced
1tbspextra virgin olive oil
1tspChinese five-spice, ground
Salt and pepper to taste
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 28g||36%|
|Saturated Fat: 3.5g|
|Trans Fat: 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate: 74g||27%|
|Dietary Fiber: 6g||21%|
- Set oven to 400 degrees. Coat cauliflower steaks in ¼ cup olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Add cauliflower to lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Flip steaks and bake for another 20 minutes. After baking, set oven to broil on high until the steaks become slightly charred. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil. This water will be used to blanch the broccolini in step 7.
- Add 1 cup of Lundberg Family Farms Organic White Jasmine Rice and 1 ½ cups water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add 1 tsp. Chinese five-spice, salt to taste, and 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat to low-simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand with lid on for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, add garlic and shallots. Pulse until finely minced and set mixture aside. Pulse mushrooms and add to a separate bowl. Pulse dried chiles until they are roughly the size of large flakes and set aside in another separate bowl.
- In a large sauté pan, add 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes. Add dried chile flakes and sauté for 3 minutes. Add ¼ cup wine or cognac. Flambé and sauté until mostly evaporated. Add brown sugar, cumin, and sea salt and remove from heat, stirring constantly. Set aside. This is your sauce, which should be a bit oily and chunky.
- Blanch broccolini for 2 minutes, set aside, and drain. Add 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil to a large sauté pan and add the blanched broccolini. Sauté on high for 5 minutes. Salt to taste. Add Fresno chiles, stir to incorporate, and remove from heat.
- Add ¾ cup cooked rice to each plate. Layer broccolini on the rice and top with a cauliflower steak. Drizzle a generous amount of sauce on each plate. Enjoy!