Get fresh recipes, farm news, and discounts delivered straight to your inbox.
6cupscheddar cheese, sharp, grated, 1 cup reserved
1cupspanko bread crumbs or gluten-free panko bread crumbs
1⁄4cupssauvignon blanc or white wine of choice
1⁄4cupsall-purpose flour or gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Parsley, for garnish
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 29g||37%|
|Saturated Fat: 16g|
|Trans Fat: 1g|
|Total Carbohydrate: 48g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber: 7g||25%|
- In a fine mesh sieve, thoroughly rinse 2 cups of quinoa under cold water until the water runs clear. Place quinoa in a medium saucepan with 2 ½ cups water and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce heat to maintain a low simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add oil and shallots. Sauté for 8-10 minutes, or until shallots are caramelized. Deglaze the pan with wine, scrape the bottom of the pan, and stir for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add butter. When melted, add flour and whisk constantly for 2-3 minutes. The result should be a blonde roux. Add milk and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Remove milk from heat and add 5 cups of cheese, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk together until fully incorporated.
- In a large bowl, add cooked quinoa and shallots to the cheese sauce and stir to fully incorporate. Add to 9 X 13” greased baking dish. Top with panko bread crumbs and reserved cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes and broil for an additional 5 minutes, or until the top layer is slightly golden brown. Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!