Sign up for Field Notes to receive farm fresh recipes, influence new products, and get discounts delivered straight to your inbox.
1large onion, peeled and quartered
1can (28oz) of crushed or pureed tomatoes
2cloves garlic, minced
1tspchopped fresh rosemary
1tspchopped fresh thyme
3eggs lightly beaten
1⁄2cupspanko bread crumbs (gluten free if desired)
1⁄3cupsfinely grated parmesan cheese
2tbspfinely chopped parsley
Salt & Pepper
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat: 2.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate: 39g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber: 7g||25%|
- Cook quinoa according to packaging directions, using ¾ cup and 3 tablespoons of water.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Place onion in a food processor and chop into very fine pieces, transfer to a bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add half the onions, season with salt and pepper. Cook until onions have softened about 10 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add the other half of the onions, season with salt and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent and slightly golden in color about 5 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, place all mushrooms in the food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- To the saucepan add whole can of tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Season with more salt and pepper; simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- To the onions in the skillet, add garlic, rosemary and thyme, cook until aromatic about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper, cook for another 10 minutes.
- Stir tomato paste into mushroom mixture and cook for an additional minute. Transfer into a large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- To the mushroom mixture, add the quinoa, bread crumbs, grated cheese, and eggs. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Using a tablespoon and damp hands roll and form quinoa mixture into 35-40 “meatballs”. Arrange meatballs on a greased baking sheet. Bake meatballs for 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Serve meatballs with sauce and garnish with parsley and grated cheese. Enjoy!