Sign up for Field Notes to receive farm fresh recipes, influence new products, and get discounts delivered straight to your inbox.
1⁄3lbfresh wild mushrooms or 2 0.5oz packages dried wild mushroom
2small shallots, minced
4garlic cloves, minced (Pantry Friendly: 2 tsp. garlic powder)
2fresh thyme sprigs (Pantry Friendly: 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
1⁄2tspfreshly ground pepper
3⁄4cupsdry white wine
1cupsmushroom stock (made from rehydrating the dried mushrooms) or 1 cup vegetable stock 4-5 cups vegetable stock, divided (if using fresh mushrooms, omitting the mushroom stock, you will need 5 cups of vegetable stock total. If you are using the dried mushroom stock, you will only need 4 cups of vegetable stock total)
1cupsfreshly grated parmesan cheese
fresh parsley minced (Pantry Friendly: 1 Tbsp. dried parsley)
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 26g||33%|
|Saturated Fat: 26g|
|Trans Fat: 1.5g|
|Total Carbohydrate: 43g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber: 2g||7%|
- If using dried mushrooms: Place mushrooms in a bowl. Pour 1 cup boiling water and 1 cup vegetable stock over mushrooms. Let sit at room temp for 30 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Reserve liquid to be used in the risotto.
- Melt 4 tbsp butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallots and saute until tender. Add garlic, thyme sprigs, salt and pepper and stir for an additional minute. Remove mushroom mixture from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining butter to pan over medium heat. Once melted, add rice and stir until rice begins to look translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Add ¾ cup dry white wine and lemon juice and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed. Add mushroom stock or 1 cup of vegetable broth and stir until almost all broth is absorbed. Continuing adding broth 1 cup at a time, and stir until liquid is almost absorbed.
- Add mushrooms mixture into the rice and stir to combine. Gently stir in heavy cream and parmesan cheese and cook for an additional 5 min on low heat. Risotto should be creamy, but firm to the bite. Transfer risotto to a serving bowl and top with freshly ground pepper, shaved parmesan and fresh parsley.